Lesson 1: DEXTERITY
Section 1: Static Warm-ups
- Arms: Hold super man push-up position for 10 seconds – Raise your body off the ground using your palms and the balls of your feet, keeping your feet, hips and head aligned; and then you will extend one arm in front of your, keeping your arm parallel to the ground.
- Legs: Hold single leg squat position for 10 seconds – Raise one leg off the ground and lower your body with your other leg while your arms remain extended in front of you, parallel to the ground.
- Abs: Hold advanced dish position for 10 seconds – Raise your shoulders and feet off the ground, both at a 45-degree angle, while your arms are extended in front, parallel with your legs.
- Core: Hold Straight-leg bridge for 10 seconds – Raise your body off the ground with the palms of your hands and your heels, keeping your heels, hips and shoulders aligned; and then extend one leg up with your toes pointed forwards.
- Today you are going to work on DEXTERITY.
- Here are the three DEXTERITY tips that I want you to practice today:
- Using proper chambers on your kicks.
- Using proper chambers on your blocks and strikes.
- Having good timing on your blocks and strikes when you land into your stances.
Section 2: Skill-building drill (Do three sets)
- Basics in a box: Mark off a small box to stand in that is approximately 3 feet long and 3 feet wide. Practice three different strike or blocking movements with stances while staying in the box. Select techniques from your requirements. For example, beginners: low block landing into a back stance and front punch landing into a front stance. Continue for 10 reps per combination.
- Elevator basics: Test you balance and strength while performing your basic techniques by standing on a stack of pillows. Do 10 reps per technique.
Section 3: Passive stretches
- Hold cross leg stretch for 10 seconds – Sit with one leg crossed over the other. Use the opposite elbow to push against the crossed leg.
- Hold seal stretch 10 seconds – Lay on your stomach facing the front. Make a diamond with your hands touching your index finger and thumbs together. Place your hands on the floor under your sternum and extend your arms lifting your upper body off the floor.
- Hold neck pull for 10 seconds – Sit on your knees in a relaxed position. Use a hand on the crown of the head to gently pull you head to your shoulder.
- Hold rubber guard stretch for 10 seconds – Lay on your back. Cross one ankle over the opposite knee. Lift that knee to your chest. Thread one arm through your legs and around your knee and the other arm around the same knee. Squeeze and hold this position.
Lesson 2: REACTION
Section 1: Active Warm-ups
- Arms: Int. triangle push-ups for 10 reps – Lower your head to the top of your left hand and then back up, alternating hands on each rep. Keep your feet together and make sure your toes are pointed towards the ceiling.
- Legs: Advanced squats for 10 reps – Raise one leg off the ground and lower your body with your other leg while your arms remain extended in front of you and then raise your body back up.
- Abs: Half v-sit up for 10 reps – Raise your shoulders and feet off the ground, both at a 45-degree angle, while your arms are extended in front, parallel with your legs and then lower your body back, keeping your shoulders and feet off the ground in between each rep.
- Core: Straight-leg bridge w/ shoulder taps for 10 reps – Tap your right shoulder with your left hand and then tap your left shoulder with your right hand, keeping your body in perfect alignment.
- Today you are going to work on REACTION.
- Here are the three REACTION tips that I want you to practice today:
- Stay focused on your partner.
- Make a decision quick.
- Do not get distracted.
Section 2: Skill-building drill (Do three sets)
- Ninja: You will try to tag any part of your partner’s arms or legs with one swing, while your partner dodges in one motion. Once you swing, you must freeze in that position, while your partner freezes in the position that they dodged in. Then your partner will try and tag you in one swing as they freeze and so forth until one of you gets tagged. The person that gets tagged must do ten push-ups.
- Stay on your feet: Standing in a middle stance with both knees bent, palms up and facing your partner, you will hit your partner’s hands and try to knock them off balance.
Section 3: Active stretches
- Rubber guard twists for 10 reps – Sit with one ankle crossed over the opposite knee. Lift and hug the ankle close to your chest. Slowly twist side to side.
- Advanced lunges for 10 reps – Go to a forward lunge position with the rear knee on the floor. Lean forward touching your chest to your lead knee and hug the knee. Push your hips forward into the floor and continue to alternate sides.
- Hold wristlock stretch for 10 seconds – Sit on your knees in a relaxed position. Place both hands on the floor palms up with fingers pointing towards yourself. Slowly sit back on your heels and hold the position for 10 seconds. Then switch hand position by placing your palms on the floor with fingers towards yourself.
- Hold starfish stretch for 10 seconds – Lay flat on your stomach with your hands by your side as if you were going to perform a push up. Cross one leg over the other and scissor your legs apart as far as they will go. Then raise your upper body off the floor using your arms while keeping your shoulders square with the front of the classroom.
Thank you SKILLZ Worldwide and fellow SKILLZ School, On the Mat Martial Arts for this incredible content!